I'm a little late to this sorry lol
Here's what we know so far about DLC characters:
- The first is Joker from Persona 5
- They were chosen by Nintendo not Sakurai
- They want the characters to be a unexpected
- Characters have to be loved enough that people will pay money for them
- They've made it clear that it won't be a Xenoblade 2 character.
- An exclusive marvel game is coming to switch next year
- There's just a bare minimum of Final Fantasy content in Ultimate in order to feature Cloud, sense that licencing with Square Enix isn't going smoothly
- I'm assuming characters in Soul Calibur 6 won't be in Smash.
So my picks are:
Spiderman is the most recognizable Marvel character but that's Sony's, Thor seems kind of Nintendoish to me and his moves fit the game. There will definitely be a Marvel character.
I think MC is a big enough franchise to feel timeless, Fortnite is probably too new to make it.
Ryu Hayabusa, the Ninja Gaiden guy
Nintendo is close with Team Ninja, he's got a good move set for a fighting game, and can be cleaned up for an E rated game.
He would have to be cleaned up a lot to work but would be popular, and also would be worth it for Nintendo to advertise that the Switch gets Doom games.
The main character from Fire Emblem Three Houses
Nintendo has debuted FE characters in Smash twice already. There is a Fire Emblem fatigue in Smash but they might do this again.
They might just say fuck it and put in Spiderman lol
Definitely could see how this would happen but I'm pretty sure Microsoft would prefer to promote Minecraft.
Erdrick from Dragon Quest XI
Would own, but not known enough in the west to make it, I feel.
Would own, but doesn't seem strong enough for DLC. Not really sure how interested Ubisoft is in Smash, they love putting Nintendo characters in their games but I'm not sure if it would work the other way around.