apple is hugely influential on hardware, especially on phones
they paved the way for my least favorite phone things, like the headphone jack disappearing or phone screens not being rectangles
but they also released ARM macs, which was the final kick in the teeth needed to get everyone to make ARM builds standard. Linux had this forever (thanks Raspberry Pi) and Windows had this but it was super limited
apple isn't so influential in laptops though, which is a shame. patents are probably to blame. i'd love for magsafe on a non-mac laptop, or touch bars to have become standard. i also credit apple for leading the way with good touchpads.
but still, i'm loss averse. every time apple has a new announcement or leak, i get worried. what's next?
here's some bad ideas:
- imessage is now an open standard but it runs on NFTs
- iphones are now portless and buttonless
- convergence: connect your phone to a screen and keyboard, and you have full macos!
- but this is made possible by making macos worse, not by making ios better
- apple revamps their graphics APIs again, says "fuck you" to game devs. then they buy up every major game studio for exclusive contracts
- same as the previous bullet, but also with NFTs
- "turns out anyone can make an android phone," says apple, announcing their own Android distro with their own app store
- (don't tell anyone you heard this from me, but apple has dabbled internally with their own android phone)
- batteries are now external and are bought separately
- batteries are now external and are bought separately and are also NFTs